Wednesday 26 October 2016

Return to Sobbor. Railway Buffer and Ramp

I first visited Sobibor in January 2016, snow was thick on the ground and it was below -10C. I was accompanied by my mother, niece and her boyfriend. I returned in October 2016 as part of my visit to the death camps across Poland that were built as part of Operation Reinard. This blog has already covered my visit to Belzec Extermination Camp, so this part of the blog will include photographs from my visits to Sobibor Extermination Camp in January and October 2016.

Similar to Belzec extermination camp there is nothing remaining from the original camp, only the memorials placed by authorities. The Nazis destroyed plans, documents and stripped the buildings of the former extermination camp down to their foundations, even carrying the rubble away. They levelled structures, planted forests and established farms. It was clear by the time I had walked through the former areas of Lager I and II that the site of the extermination camp had more or less been raised to the ground by the Germans in 1943.  The farms set up by the Germans have long gone and the forest cleared.

The first and most striking feature as you pull up at the entrance of the former area of the Sobibor Extermination Camp is the buffer at the end of the rail rack and the rail track where trains used to stop at the ramp to allow victims to unload. This was a sinister feature seen in the film 'Escape from Sobibor'.

N0. 10



The buffer at the end of the railway track
outside Sobibor











The railway buffer and railway track and
with the ramp in the distance.










I have included some pictures taken of and near the railway buffer during the visit it January.





The railway buffer at Sobibor taken from the original railway spur, Jan 2016 
As far as I can tell the ramp is in the original location from when the camp was in operation in 1942, but was originally made of wood.
 

The ramp taken from the railway buffer
Jan 2016



The railway buffer and spur at Sobibor
taken from the ramp, Jan 2016









The ramp at Sobibor, Jan 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment